Friday 5 October 2012

The Plain Truth

Today begins my food blogging journey, I have always been a hands on cook, no recipe to follow, if I think what I want to make I set out to cook it in the kitchen, usually I get teases from friends and relatives telling me that my wife is going to be lucky to have me as her husband as she would not have to do a lot of cooking and I will fulfill all her culinary dreams and journeys. I usually pass it off as a joke, but thanks to some people who have inspired me to take up cooking as a hobby, I would like to take time here and mention their names Keyur, Robin, Sneha, Krishna K, Dr. Puneet (Thanks for the push for writing a blog about my cooking) , Sonal bhabhi, Mom, Smita Mami (for all the yummy western dishes that you have cooked over the years) & my best mate Bhavit.

Off late i have gotten back into the kitchen and began to cook. its brought me into a different place all together, as when I am in the kitchen all my worries melt away. It began with a simple Masala Pasta Sandwich and then transcended into complex dishes like Red Thai Curry (which bought me great fan following at a friend's PG ), my Variety egg party which my friends loved and lapped up everything that was cooked, Vegetarian Lasagna, Cheesy onion fingers, to Krishna Ks fusion recipe invention for her finale in Hyderabad. I tried my hand at making a desert a coconut pana-cotta. Handled leftovers and made paratha's from left over daal fry which were yummy.

These moments have bought me back to what I love to do, not on a professional level but at a spiritual level of finding myself in a place i belong that's the kitchen.

I have leaned towards savory dishes a lot, and ill post some original recipes here, I want to now get into baking so I am going to experiment with 2 dishes I think will be easy for an amateur. I have always treated my oven as a tool to bake pizzas and melt cheese on top of baked dishes or to crisp and brown toast. I have a new found appreciation for my oven now that I am going to attempt baking my oven will be my best friend. This statement also goes for my dear dear microwave who has been my lifeline when my mum is not around, giving me hot food time and again and for those lazy days when u do not want to switch on the gas my microwave has given me warmth and filled my stomach with hot food. Honors and kudos to them both for keeping up with my abuse. Ill mention my Oven is about 14 years old and my Microwave is 6 years old and both are healthy and are dedicated to providing me years of service if i use them more often now.

No comments:

Post a Comment